Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Loan Arranger and other stuff

I thought I'd post the remainder of the issues of GOOSE I have xeroxes of. These are from issues 2 and 3 in 1976 or so and done anonymously.

It was kind of like MAD except dirty. I think it was people who worked on magazines like CRAZY and SICK letting off steam.






Normally I don't appreciate self-parody. Sometimes it can be funny, I just don't like the idea of it. This is sort of interesting though. Here's a parody of THEY'LL DO IT EVERY TIME by Al Scaduto, the artist of that strip. I picture him thinking of the strip "the way I'd really like to do it".




Now that you're done with that, please take our survey.

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious, why exactly was Al Scaduto's presence so ubiquitous in Paul laikin publications. I mean you didn't see people like Dik Browne or Mort Walker popping up in Wacko or Crazy? What compelled him to appear in these magazines?

    Also, what is it about self-parody you don't like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the idea of self-parody I don't like, the results can still be funny. I could mock myself more viciously and better than a lot of other people but there's would still be restraints. Self-parody is usually just a punning of the names.

    I think the ubiquity of Scaduto and not lots of other syndicated cartoonists probably had something to do with him not owning the properties he worked on. There weren't THEY'LL DO IT EVERY TIME toys. I think also because he was a member of the regional NCS chapter other cartoonists belonged to.

    ReplyDelete