Monday, February 6, 2017

Sick #91, 3 of 3

This is the last of Sick #91 from July 1972. Here are the first two parts.
Sick often printed excerpts from “Jack Davis' unsold newspaper strip Bo Rearguard, which I've posted samples of in the past. I'm not very happy the strip roots for the South, but an excuse to have anything by Jack Davis is fine with me.
Jack Sparling
Since they didn't have the budget to have artists for movie and TV parodies like other magazines, or if a movie was already a comedy, they would usually have a “review”, like this one of The Hot Rock. (They also didn't have to come up with puns on names)
Even though the back cover was a collage, it's still signed by artist Arnoldo Franchioni.

1 comment:

  1. I would agree with your comment about a low budget, but actually the movie review with photo's was one of the innovations of Joe Simon in the first few yers of Sick. Together with Dee Caruso and Bill Levine he created 'funny' recapsulations and enlivend them with captioned photos or drawn illustrations. I am surprised they went on so long with them. And the Davus gags as well. I did not collect Sick after #60, but apparently I have to lok further.

    ReplyDelete