Saturday, April 18, 2015

Magic Whistle Radio Hour 17

Another of these. This can also be downloaded by right-clicking this link which creates a zip file that can be opened as an mp3. The past 16 shows like this can be found by clicking this.

These are all things I've collected over the years or acquired on mixtapes and comps or gathered from the internet. I make no claims to "discovering" or "owning" anything and neither do you. It's whatever I feel like playing that week. Things that may or may not be familiar. Who knows. Here's the all the information I was able to find about these here songs:

PAPA CHARLIE JACKSON- Shave 'Em Dry (1925)
THE UTICA CLUB NATURAL CARBONATION BAND
TOMMY COOPER- Don't Jump Off the Roof, Dad (1961)
CARL STALLING ORCHESTRA w/MEL BLANC- I Love the Girls
   from cartoon The Hep Cat, 1942
AMBROSE & HIS ORCHESTRA- The Sun Has Got His Hat On (1932)
   A disc jockey was actually fired for playing this record last year. Granted I'm self-employed. No reason not to use an entire song just because of one word that doesn't change the song as a whole. I suppose you could say Ike Turner and Phil Spector (both of whose records I've also played) are much worse humans than someone who was racist 80 years ago, but better safe than sorry.
TRAILER- Vixen! (1968)
TOM LEHRER- We Will All Go Together When We Go
   orchestra conducted by Richard Hayman, 1960
   “A reassuring look into the future, ending on an inspirational note, is provided in the last song...”
   The piano version has the lyrics “We will all go together when we go/ All suffuse with an incandescent glow/ No one will have the endurance/ To collect on his insurance/ Lloyd's of London will be loaded when they go/ Down by the old maelstrom/ There'll be a storm before the calm/ You will all go directly to your respective valhallas/ Go directly, do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollas.”    A couple paragraphs back, I go out of my way to announce my effort not to be racist, then I have a song with the word “hottentot”. As far as I know, this is an an archaic term, though.

WENDELL HALL- Who Said I Was A Bum? (1928)
WYNONIE HARRIS- Good Morning Judge (1952)
KIRBY STONE FOUR- Zing! Went the Strings In My Heart! (1958)
UNKNOWN- Uranium (1955)
NERVOUS NORVUS- Stonage Woo (1959)
THE REAL PROS- Teenage Queen
   Song poem from LP Rat-A-Tat-Tat, America
BEN BOLT & THE NUTS- Mechanical Man (1966)
COZY COLE- The Pogo Hop (1960)
ALLAN SHERMAN- Schticks Of One, Half a Dozen of the Other (1963)
FRITZ AND JERRY- Rat Race (1958)
THE GUM DROPS- Gum Drop Shoes And Bells In Her Hair (1958)
EARTHA KITT- Take My Love, Take My Love (1957)
DICK MELARI- Zippy Zippy Du
PAUL HAMPTON- Slam Bam Thank Ya Ma'am (1957)
THE ZANIES- The Blob (1958)
THE EXPRESSOS- A Beatnik Story
ALFI & HARRY- The Trouble With Harry (1956)
   Act of Ross Bagdasarian, Sr. before achieving success with the Chipmunks. Nothing to do with the Hitchcock film that came out at the same time, though he had a role in Hitchcock's previous film.

BARRY WOOD- Any Bonds Today? (1941)
LITTLE BOB & HIS ELECTRIC UKE- Chik Chick (1966)
BARBIE & KEN- Recipe For Instant Love (1961)

No comments:

Post a Comment