Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Happy Comics, 1 of 3

This is from the 21st issue of Happy Comics from September 1947, another of Standard's funny animal titles in the tradition of Coo Coo Comics, Barnyard Comics, and Goofy Comics.
Funny animal comics, or humor comics for that matter, were almost never signed unless the artist decided to, like here where it's drawn by Lynn Karp.
Nobody ever read the text pieces. I have hundreds of golden age comics, some of which I've had for over 30 years, and have never once read any of the text pieces. The only reason they were ever there in the first place was to qualify for a cheaper mail rate. I never include them when I post them, but in this case I'll make an exception since the text pieces in this issue had headers drawn by Frank Frazetta.

No comments:

Post a Comment