Monday, March 11, 2013

CRAZY #28

Yet another issue of Crazy cover-dated August 1977

Cover by Bob Larkin of the stars of The Donny and Marie Show as the couple from American Gothic.  photo 3-11-1_zps789ec8ab.jpg Inside front cover.  photo 3-11-2_zps39c8d2fa.jpg The parody of Donny and Marie as featured on the cover, drawn by Murad Gumen.  photo 3-11-3_zps66647ffd.jpg Written by J.M. DeMatteis and drawn by Jerry Grandenetti  photo 3-11-4_zpsd2fa4b73.jpg Art by Alan Kupperberg.  photo 3-11-5_zpsa5edb596.jpg Art by David Wenzel  photo 3-11-6_zps2595847d.jpg Gary Brodsky  photo 3-11-7_zpsf7a21d35.jpg Alan Hanley wrote and drew this piece. He makes references to Billy Graham, Woody Allen before he was taken seriously as a filmmaker, and Joe Namath. All of them are still alive.  photo 3-11-8_zpse6c35afa.jpg Almost all are Marvel characters. It is a Marvel magazine, after all. Pictured are Ghost Rider, Marvel Girl, Thor, Iron Man, Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Bucky, Howard the Duck, Incredible Hulk, Nick Fury, Silver Surfer, Sergeant Fury, Flash, Tawny Tiger, Conan the Barbarian, Invisible Girl, Mr. Fantastic, Thing, Spider-Man, Superman, Charlie Brown, Sub-Mariner, Captain America, Wonder Woman, Human Torch, Stan Lee, Salami Man, Batman.

Yeah, I'm a geek, just not usually this kind. Someone once said I was a twig on an evolutionary branch.  photo 3-11-9_zpsdef5de9b.jpg This has always been my favorite superhero spoof though. I thought the idea of the Hulk taking a dump was really funny when I was nine. Maybe to a certain extent, I still do. Michael Ricigliano explains his pen name in the book If You're Cracked, You're Happy:

When I left Cracked after the one year I was the editor there, [publisher] Bob Sproul was not happy. He was upset that I was leaving. He wanted me to stay as the editor. So I left, and he told me that I couldn’t do stuff anymore. I kept submitting stuff and I made a papier-mâché dummy and I made a few years back here in town for the owner of the Colts and it got a lot of play, nationally. My 15 minutes of fame as an artist. I also had a dummy of myself called Joe the Dummy spelled Thadummi like an Italian name, so I was submitting stuff under the name Joe Thadummi!! After a while, Sproul caught on. I wasn’t very good at hiding and banished me for a few more issues until he finally let me do stuff again.  photo 3-11-10_zps6303e941.jpg Another comics parody, this time drawn by Tony Tallarico.  photo 3-11-11_zps20417c58.jpg References to celebrities of the time.  photo 3-11-12_zps99b30dde.jpg Another reminder this was a Marvel Magazine.  photo 3-11-13_zpsd00b07e9.jpg Parody of Marathon Man drawn by Walter Brogan.  photo 3-11-14_zpsb74925e4.jpg  photo 3-11-15_zps4cb9ab7f.jpg Back cover of the issue.  photo 3-11-16_zps76855c2d.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment