Monday, November 26, 2012

CRAZY #8

Another issue of Marvel's short-lived Mad competitor Crazy from December 1974.

Like the previous issues, it's not that funny but interesting because it represents a certain period of time. Cover by Nick Cardy Photobucket More lampooning of Nixon by Tony Isabella and Dick Wright. Photobucket Parody of Police Story by Stu Schwartzberg and Vance Rodewalt. Photobucket After this was The Crazy White Paper on Hamburgers

This parody of Casper by Marv Wolfman and Marie Severin used to creep me out as a kid and now it does for a different reason. It's ironic that Harvey comics are looked down on as formulaic and kids' stuff by a publication that is formulaic and kids' stuff. Marvel even published their own Harvey imitations at one time. This was reprinted several times and they tried to duplicate its “success” with a Richie Rich/SLA mashup.

Marvel was in the same building as National Lampoon and their staffers were constantly trying to pitch them stories. This was apparently one of them.

I don't always post things because I think they are funny, often it's because they're supposed to be. People who know me know I have a grim sense of humor, sometimes I even joke about how I've had to have an MRI immediately after waking up in a pool of my own blood (don't worry, it doesn't happen anymore). I don't find any subject off-limits. Someone made a YouTube video of the 9/11 footage juxtaposed with Yakkety Sax. It's completely tasteless, I couldn't watch it all the way through, anyone who would laugh at that is an asshole, but at least I can see what's supposed to be funny about it. This story nowhere near that level. Doesn't offend me much. However, I don't know exactly what the joke is here. Do they think wife-beating and infanticide are funny in and of themselves? Is it iconoclasm? Were they trying to do something a sixth-grader would like? What exactly is the joke here? Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket After that is a story by Barry Hepp called If Human Interest Stories Were Written Like Crime Stories.

More History of Moosekind by Bob Foster

And keeping with the law and order theme, is Crazy's Prison Crazies by John Stevens.

Insipid Romances by Steve Gerber and Marie Severin parodies the many romance magazines that existed at the time. Photobucket Photobucket This was mocking the Saturday Morning cartoons of that year which I think was done by people that worked on those cartoons, hence what I think are mostly fake names. The writing is credited to “Lance Boyle”. The only name I recognize is William Stout.

They also parodied Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch, These Are the Days, Partridge Family: 2200 A.D., Devlin, and Hong Kong Fooey Photobucket There was Serpikette, a parody of Serpico in collage and fumetti form.

Photobucket Then a collaboration by Marv Wolfman and Robert Graysmith

Parody of the Bounty Paper Towels campaign. Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment