Thursday, May 31, 2018

Cartoon themes: Just Married

I've taken the remainder of my gag cartoons (still several years' worth with more to come) and put them into several categories. First up is the “Just Married” sign.

Man, October 1971
Jem, August 1958
It's always bothered me when cartoons have the book title on the back cover, but I've found myself it's often necessary for staging.

Jem, July 1953
Jem, August 1957
High, November 1958
Bob Barnes
Hello Buddies, Winter 1950
Sometimes they'd use the same theme like this at least twice in one magazine

Al Ross
Hello Buddies, May 1955
Hello Buddies, May 1955
Martin Filchock
Good Humor, circa 1964
Good Humor, circa 1964
Reamer Keller
Fun House, February 1980
Frank Beaven
Army Navy Fun Parade, April 1953
I've decided that this is the best gag cartoon ever made. I have an essay half-written explaining why. I pitched it to Comics Journal six months ago and need to get off my ass and finish it.

B. Kliban
Playboy, August 1982

No comments:

Post a Comment