Saturday, December 19, 2015

Magic Whistle Radio Hour 52

Things I've collected over the years or acquired on mixtapes and comps or gathered from the internet or the library or my parents' attic. I make no claims to "discovering" or "owning" anything. Probably neither do you. It's whatever I feel like playing that week. Things that may or may not be familiar. Who knows? Past weeks here too. Just type "Audio" in the search engine. Or if you're too lazy to press a button more than once, here are the first thirty. You don't get the playlists, though, and you can't get the shows after that yet. You can also right-click this for a zip folder containing the mp3. Here's what information I was able to find:

THE BONNIE SISTERS- I Saw Mommy Cha Cha Cha With You Know Who (1956)
GILDA RADNER- Santa's Cupcake Recipe
   from National Lampoon Radio Hour, circa 1974

JIM BACKUS- I Was a Teenage Reindeer (1959)
   with Daws Butler

FATHER ABRAPHART AND THE SMURPS- Lick A Smurp For Christmas (1978)
   Not a parody of The Smurfs, which weren't an American thing yet.
FRAN ALLISON- Sweet Angie (The Christmas Tree Angel) (1950)
GENE AUTRY- Freddy the Little Fir Tree (1953)
ELTON BRITT & HIS BEAVER VALLEY SWEETHEARTS- Merry Texas Christmas, You All (1953)
THE DISPOTO SISTERS- Willy Clause (1964)
THE HOLLY TWINS (FEAT. EDDIE COCHRAN)- I Want Elvis For Christmas (1956)
THE LENNON SISTERS- Peppy the Peppermint Bear (1959)
THE MARLIN SISTERS- Jolly Old Saint Nicholas (1951)
VAUGHN MONROE- Snowy White Snow and Jingle Bells (1950)
THE ROBIN SISTERS- Chimney Top Twist (1962)
TINY TIM- Santa Claus Has Got the Aids This Year (1980)
   I don't know what this means either, it was a year before anyone even knew the virus existed. He also had a bit of a gay following, and he wouldn't alienate them with a sick joke.
MAE WEST- Santa Come Up and See Me
   from Under the Mistletoe with Mae West, 1977
   she was 84 at the time, but it was okay, because Santa was at least that.
CHEVY- 1959 Commercial
AKIM & TEDDY VANN- Santa Claus Is a Black Man (1973)
THE SONICS- Santa Claus (1965)
LAEL CALLOWAY- Dear Santa Have You Had the Measles (1956)
   daughter of Cab Calloway
DORA BRYAN- All I Want For Christmas Is A Beatle (1963)
BARRY GORDON- I Like Christmas (1956)
BET E. MARTIN- Mrs. Santa Claus (1961)
JIMMY ASHBY & THE TREBLE TONES- Santa Claus Hop
Unknown Instro I forgot to label but I remember either
   “Christmas” or “Santa” was in the title.
TY WHITNEY- Surfin' Santa Claus (1963)
BRENDON HANLON & THE BATMEN- Swingin' Christmas Party

No comments:

Post a Comment