Saturday, January 31, 2015

Magic Whistle Audio Elucidation 6

More things I've collected over the years or acquired on mixtapes and comps or gathered from the internet. I make no claims to “discovering” or “owning” anything. It's whatever I feel like playing a particular week. Things that may or may not be familiar that I've taken from my mp3s and shuffled at random. Who knows what's here?



If you don't want to play this right now and want to save it for later, right-click this. You can also click this to get the previous five of these.

I chose some thing purposely bland for the name of this show but it still doesn't seem right. Suggestions for something equally boring are always welcome.

Here's the pertinent information if you need it:

PAT BOONE- Wish You Were Here, Buddy (1966)
GANIMIAN & HIS ORIENTALS- Come With Me To the Casbah (1959)
ROY SMECK- Twelfth Street Rag

GREMLINS FROM THE KREMLIN- Gremlins from the Kremlin
   from Russian Rhapsody, 1944
TOM LEHRER- Smut (1964)
   One of many topical songs Lehrer wrote for the American version of That Was The Week That Was

LIL JOHNSON- If You Don't Give Me What I Want
THE GOOFERS- Wow
   from Bop Girl Goes Calypso, 1957
    Too bad you can't see the visual. It's pretty insane. One of them plays the trombone while swinging on a trapeze. It used to be on You-Tube. You may say “so what” but I bet you couldn't do that.

BILL SPILLER- Hot Pants Girl (1971)
CLAUDE CLOUD & HIS THUNDERCLAPS- One Bone (1955)
THE SURFSIDERS- Fun Fun Fun
   from The Surfsiders Sing The Beach Boys Songbook, 1965
STAN FREBERG- The Great Pretender (1956)
   ”If nailed down to pick my favorite of the twelve [on this album], I would probably pick The Great Pretender because in addition to coming out fairly funny it lampoons a musical trend that I personally loathe. In all my records I have conscientiously tried to separate not as a record artist but as a satirist. There's a difference between pointless ridicule and earnest satire. A satirist is a critic who seeks to improve society by pointing out its affectations and absurdities through use of humor.”
   One of many parodies by him (as well as Spike Jones, Mickey Katz, and others) I heard before ever hearing the real songs.

BUD LUCKEY- Martian Beauty
   From Sesame Street, 1975
THE SOUTHLANDERS- The Wiggle (1958)
BILLY WARD & HIS DOMINOES- Sixty Minute Man (1951)
   Said by many to be the first rock and roll song

CEE PEE JOHNSON- The G Man Got the T Man (1945)
THE RAMBLERS- Mama, He Treats Your Daughter Mean
DRIMBLE WEDGE & THE VEGETATIONS- Bedazzled
   Peter Cook in the motion picture of same name, 1967
NERVOUS NORVUS- Dig (1956)
   Years ago I had this on a mixtape of beatnik songs I lent to a friend who while listening to it on acid decided I was sending him secret messages through this song.

MICHAEL O'DONOGHUE- Mr. Whipple
   From National Lampoon Radio Hour, 1974
ANGELINA- He Forgot His Rubbers
   From My Pussy Belongs To Daddy, 1957
MICKEY KATZ- Ces Tzi Bon
   Parody of C'Est Si Bon
   I learned Yiddish from this record.

MAD MYSTERY RECORD- A Super-Spectacular Day 2 (1979)
   Flexi-disc that came in MAD Super-Special #31 that had 8 different endings depending on where you started the needle on the record. The first one was played a few weeks ago with the other six to come.

LOUIS JORDAN- You're On the Right Track, Baby (1947)
COLLINS KIDS- Whistle Bait (1956)
THE BOWLEGS- One More Time, Part 2 (1961)
THE PEEPLE- Hi Yo Camel

No comments:

Post a Comment