Saturday, January 3, 2015

Magic Whistle Audio Elucidation 2

I did 95 of these not because I plan that far ahead but because I was able to do it all in an afternoon.

Or if you want to listen off-line try right-clicking this to download the mp3. I found out the limited bandwidth on the site I was using last week applied to the times the file was downloaded, something I have no control of, not the one time I uploaded it. I just found another free storage site and hopefully I shouldn't have the same trouble again.

This is what you're hearing:

FRANK GORSHIN- The Riddler (1966)
   One of the few Batsploitation records to have someone actually involved with the series. The other side had Gorshin as a “serious” singer.

NATHAN GLANTZ ORCHESTRA- Yiddishe Charleston (1926)
   I was looking for the version of this song that was used in Forbidden Zone but I think they made that one up, including the the obviously self-mocking lyrics, for the movie. This one's good too.

UNKNOWN-Speaking Of the Weather
   from Speaking Of the Weather, 1937. One of Warner Brothers' many “bookstore comes to life after store closes at night” cartoons.
I wish I knew how to make audio from videos the same volume as everything else.

OSCAR'S CHICAGO SWINGERS- I Wonder Who's Boogiein' My Woogie Now (1936)
RICK KAY & HIS SHADES OF TODAY- You Stink
KING COLEMAN- Alley Rat
MICHAEL MAFFAY w/KENNY BURT'S CAVEMEN- Marlene (1959)
   Years ago, a friend had a bunch of 45s on the Embee record label and we were trying to solve the mystery of it. Thankfully, Phil Milstein has tracked down the complete discography on his Probe site.

THE SURFSIDERS- Warmth of the Sun
   from“The Surfsiders Sing the Beach Boys Songbook”, 1965
MAD MAN JONES- Snake Charmer
JIM BACKUS- The Office Party (1959)
HOMER & JETHRO- Behind the Screen Door (1957)
   parody of Green Door

THE SWALLOWS- It Ain't the Meat (1951)
RALPH SMEDLEY- Drown
   Ralph Smedley was a pseudonym of Jack Gale
   Some of the things here come from comps, though if a comp is more than 20 years old I feel it's a vintage record in itself.

PETULA CLARK- L'Agent Secret (1966)
NIKITA THE K & THE FRIENDS OF ED LABUNSKI- Go-Go Radio Moscow (1967)
   Sketches about popular culture behind the iron curtain were another novelty record exploitation genre. Here they're also spoofing Murray the K

RHONDA COULLET & SEAN KELLY- I'm a Little Stiff From Polo
   From National Lampoon Radio Hour, 1974
ROLL-O-MATIC- Music To Shave By (1959)
   promotional flexi-disc featuring Bing Crosby, Louis Armstrong, Rosemary Clooney, and the Hi-Lo's
“This is the first Hi-Fi recording ever to be included in a national magazine ad. It's a gift to you from Remington Rand, makers of the Remington Roll-O-Matic shaver, the one gift for all men.”

THE MAD MYSTERY RECORD- It's A Super-Spectacular Day 1 (1979)
   This flexi-disc came in the magazine as an insert and had 8 different songs that played randomly depending on where the needle was dropped at the beginning, all of which will be played in the coming weeks.

LOUIS JORDAN- What's the Use of Gettin' Sober (1942)
JELLY ROLL MORTON- Hyena Stomp
THE NIGHTHAWKS- Chicken Grabber (1959)
THE HULLY GULLY BOYS- Yabby!
SONNY BOY WILLIAMSON- Rub a Dub
HUCK L. BERRY- Flight of the Bumblebee
HANK PENNY- Let Me Play With Your Poodle (1947)
PERRY COMO- Glendora (1956)
   Only pop stars can get away with things that would be creepy in real life. Imagine if one of your friends had a crush on a department store mannequin (and named them).


Again, I take no credit for “discovering” or “owning” anything. Besides things I've collected over the years, much of this comes from various mixtapes and comps I've acquired over time and things I've taken from other sites that have things similar to this, some of which I have links to on the sidebar at right.

And the previous one from last week is below.

No comments:

Post a Comment