Climbing down the rabbit hole so you don't have to
Monday, December 9, 2013
CRAZY #82: Do-It-Yourself Comic Book
Once Crazy finally became embedded into the Marvel Universe, they made sure everyone knew, having their most popular artists John Byrne and Terry Austin do the cover for their January 1982 issue of The X-Men, when they were only known by comics fans and not the general public.
I've always been into defacements on things like this. When I have a choice between two copies of a book, as long as it's not falling apart I'll choose the one that's drawn on.
Tweets by @magicwhistle
Much of the material here is at least a generation old and therefore sometimes has racist and sexist standards we wouldn't conform to today. I try, but can't always do a line-item veto. Remember, if something has stereotypes it's posted in spite of them and not because of them. You're not wrong to be offended, think of it like a friend you like hanging out with 95% of the time but once in a while they embarrass you. My own attitude is to move forward.
Many of the images I posted between 2011-2013 were disappeared by the image bank I was using then but I still have most of the scans and am bringing them back slowly. Be patient.
Steamboat Toby
-
*Down South*, starring Toby the pup, is kind of a cross between a Disney
and a Fleischer cartoon. The whole steamboat and rescue-the-girl-friend
aspects re...
Rocketeer The Island Review
-
I'm behind on my reading, so I only just got around to *The Rocketeer: The
Island. * The story is, I understand, based around an idea Dave Stevens had
bef...
So Long, Farewell
-
WE SHOOK off the childhood trauma of gym class and ventured early in the
morning to Comic Arts Brooklyn, held at Pratt’s ARC, meaning Athletic and
Recreati...
Popartz!
-
At last...volume 2 of POPARTZ! is now in print. "Whut iz it?" you may
ask. Well...around 2008 or so I started making these little 5" x 5" pen
and ink ...
Learning How to Animate Makes Me Happy
-
Animation Lesson: An Ub Iwerks Walk Cycle Tutorial! Included are pics to
supplement this lesson--study the key poses (1,...
Posted by Animation Resources...
Vintage Reno, Nevada
-
Reno, Nevada, in the 1950's and 1960's.
Barney's Casino, Lake Tahoe
Horseshoe Club
Joe Mackies Red Bull Restaurant & Casino - Winnemucca, Nevada
Joe Ma...
Some people don't realize you can make images bigger by clicking on them or that there are earlier postings beyond this page. Well, now you know. You're welcome.
Copyright Disclaimer under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for FAIR USE for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. NON-PROFIT, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use. Either that or the owners could care less.
SAM HENDERSON has been doing comics, illustration and writing popular among people aware of their existence since his birth, though he wasn't paid for it until 1991. In addition to his own series,The Magic Whistle, clients have included Nickelodeon, New York Press, DC Comics, Heavy Metal, New York Observer,and ...um... Screw. He was a storyboard director for SpongeBob Squarepants in 2001.
See what books are currently available, links to my own work and other web presences, or contact me by writing magicwhistle.henderson@gmail.com. Currently at work on graphic memoir titled Hail Seizure.
Portrait by Jess Rullifson.
No comments:
Post a Comment