Saturday, December 17, 2011

Esquire Cartoon Album, part deux

Here are more cartoons from 1957's Esquire Cartoon Album

These two are by Irving Phillips
Photobucket
Photobucket
André François
Photobucket
Barbara Shermund
Photobucket
It doesn't mention Esquire, but I think this is the same Ty Mahon this links to.
Photobucket
Another cartoonist better known for his fine arts background, Everett Shinn.
Photobucket
I can't find any reference at all to Alex Young.
Photobucket
Ty Mahon again.
Photobucket
Dorothy McKay. According to this book:

“DOROTHY McKAY's cartoons, covers and illustrations appeared regularly in the old Life, College Humor, New Yorker, Ballyhoo and Forum until, she says, 'Esquire began to corral my time—from the second issue on.' She grew up in San Francisco, where she studied at the California School of Fine Arts until she moved to New York.
Photobucket
I don't know who did this. I suppose I could use process of elimination of the list on the back flap if I had the time.
Photobucket
Gilbert Bundy
Photobucket
Dorothy McKay again. It's ironic that a magazine meant for men had more female cartoonists than other magazine at the time.
Photobucket
When I can't find information online about a person, I consult the 1980 volume World Encyclopedia of Cartoons, and the biography of Paul Webb is right here
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment