Thursday, September 22, 2011

CRACKED #16, 4 of 4

Concluded from Monday

I don't know anything about this Jerry Kirsch. Too bad, because I really like this art. Perhaps he drew greeting cards? Maybe it was one of Paul Laikin's many pseudonyms. I suppose if I was interested enough I'd subscribe to one of those People-searchers.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Jack Davis.
Photobucket

I know that Chic Stone, who did this, was definitely a real person, even though he's not on the masthead. He inked a lot of Jack Kirby comics. I'm not familiar with his humor work, so I don't know if he was told to draw like Jack Davis, or if that's just the way he drew.

Paul Laikin was still writing stuff about beatniks in the mid 80's, but I doubt too many junior high kids knew about phrases like “real gone”. I know that's where I first heard of them and beatniks in general.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Sorry for the shitty scan here. I tried several times and I couldn't get this page flat on the glass.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
9 magazines for $2.00? That's less than half the cost of one now! I wonder what would happen if I mailed in this coupon.
Photobucket
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all the Severin goodness.

    I loved Cracked. The difference between Cracked and Mad was, in my eyes, that the former had John Severin's art and the latter didn't (at least when I was reading it in the 70s and 80s).

    ReplyDelete