Monday, August 15, 2011

SICK November 1963, 1 of 4

I should clean up some of the scans. I know I have no excuse for things like shadows and pixillation. In the past I haven't had the best scans that I should have been cleaning up with the same commitment I would one of my own cartoons. However, I like the wear and tear of old comics and magazines. I don't care much about the value, I actually prefer things like markings. Defacements are even better.

This particular issue of Sick was hard to clean up. The pages are brittle to the point where the magazine was literally falling apart while I was scanning it. When I was done there were little brown flakes everywhere. This issue didn't have artwork going to the end of the page like a lot of humor magazines, so I was able to crop the browning margins most of the time. Some I couldn't so you'll see how some of the pages are brittle.

Cover by Jack Davis
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
More Jack Davis art.
SICK relied more on current events than its competitors. Looking at a back issue is like seeing an episode of The Daily Show from several years ago where you'd only have what they're talking about.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
art by Bob Powell.

More historical lessons:
The Profumo Affair
railroad strike
Photobucket
Marshal Tito
test ban talks
Photobucket
art by Bill Draut.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Franz Josef Strauss
Photobucket
Photobucket
Continued on Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment