Thursday, March 8, 2012

Intellectual Amos

Post #1000! Woooo!

Oh, who are we kidding? Who cares?

I had Andre LeBlanc as a teacher back at SVA, alternating every other week with Will Eisner. At the time, I didn't realize he did any more than assisting on The Spirit. He was always bringing in panels from The Picture Bible in another language. In retrospect, I regret not asking him more about the comics world of the 40's. I was too blinded by my iconoclastic ways as a young college student and mocking him behind his back for how out of touch he was. I didn't appreciate “old school” comics like I do now, and he was representative of that chapter of comics.

One of the features he did in his day was Intellectual Amos. It was also one of the back-up strips in The Spirit. Though Spirit stories have been reprinted ad infinitum since they were originally printed (mostly because of Eisner's business savvy), the contents of the other eight pages have fallen through the cracks.

I have managed to track down the complete comic-book run of Intellectual Amos, the first story appeared in National Comics #46, February 1945 Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket From National Comics #47, April 1945 Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. WOW!

    My name is Vivienne, and I am Andres daughter. I remember many times going to meet him (or Will, or alternate days) over at SVA

    I didn't realize anyone had managed to find the entire Intellectual Amos run. That's awesome. Please contact me. I have many original pages and unpublished sketches pop made in the years before his passing, when he was growing increasingly nostalgic about Amos and the 1940s.

    I'm starting to unpack his things, and hopefully I can find more

    BTW, thanks for the kind words about pop :). He loved his students and was always talking about the kids in his classes.

    V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have been busy unboxing many of pops things...droop a line if interested

    100colestreet@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete