Sunday, July 8, 2012

NY-PDX, Del Close, and Magic Whistle #12

I'm not a fine arts guy, but right now I have things in two gallery shows.

The first is NYPDX: “Does This Smell Funny to You?”, an exhibit of New Yorker cartoonists. Even though I've never been in the New Yorker, I'm still in the show. I've submitted a bunch of times, and I'm also friends with Shannon Wheeler, who curated the show. In addition to him, it also features the work of Drew Dernavich, Matt Diffee, Bob Eckstein, Emily Flake, Carolita Johnson, P. S. Mueller, and Corey Pandolph. I'm the only unpublished one in the bunch. Check it out if you're in Portland. Photobucket Photobucket I'm honored to be a part of this and if it puts me on the radar of the editors, even better. But if they send me to prison for impersonating a New Yorker cartoonist, it will be this one. Photobucket Meanwhile, back in New York...

Every year, the Upright Citizens' Brigade has their annual Del Close Marathon in honor of one of Second City's founding members and most famous teachers. Photobucket That's already come and gone, but it's not too late to check out their art show concurrent with the marathon, featuring work by Mister Frothee, Ashley Arbaiza, Eliza Kingsbury, Betsy Hoffman, Andy Rocco, Laura Spadanuta, Karen Coleman, Casey Opstad, Ben Warheit, Scott C., Manolo Moreno, Erika Kern, Calin Fernandez, Maëlle Doliveux, Sharon Spell, Elizabeth Starkey, Jason Spiro, Caroline Cotter, Chelsea Clarke, Ben Weinstein, Ramona Pula, Steve Dressler, Mitch Magee, and myself. It was all curated by UCB member Dyna Moe. Photobucket My piece is from the 1959 album How to Speak Hip. Photobucket It probably won't be printed anywhere, but I made a video for it I posted on this blog. If you haven't seen it, you can find it here. Photobucket Photobucket In other news, I'm finally doing Magic Whistle again after four years. Before you think it's only stuff I've put on the internet, I have new stuff as well. I'm not that lazy. Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment